[MITgcm-support] user-defined diagnostic filled with zeros

Alexandre Pohl alexandre.pohl at lsce.ipsl.fr
Wed Aug 5 13:58:34 EDT 2015

Dear all,

I am using a coupled configuration of the MITgcm with the pkg/DIC and pkg/diagnostics enabled. I would like to add a new diagnostic to the permanent set of diagnostics of the model: 'omegaC' (computed in 'dic/calcite_saturation.F').

I followed the instructions from the guidebook (http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node269.html):

1] First, I define the new diagnostic in 'dic_diagnostics_init.F' :

      diagName  = 'OMEGAC  '
      diagTitle = 'Calcite Omega   '
      diagUnits = 'dimensionless   '
      diagCode  = 'SMRP    MR      '
      CALL DIAGNOSTICS_ADDTOLIST( diagNum,
     I       diagName, diagCode, diagUnits, diagTitle, 0, myThid )

2] Then, I call the 'DIAGNOSTICS_FILL' routine in 'dic_biotic_forcing.F'.

        CALL DIAGNOSTICS_FILL(SURC   ,'DICTFLX ',0,1 ,2,bi,bj,myThid)    <==== one of pkg/DIC default diagnostics
        CALL DIAGNOSTICS_FILL(omegaC ,'OMEGAC  ',0,Nr,1,bi,bj,myThid)    <==== my new diag
#ifdef ALLOW_O2
        CALL DIAGNOSTICS_FILL(SURO   ,'DICOFLX ',0,1 ,2,bi,bj,myThid)    <==== another pkg/DIC default diagnostic

Compilation succeeds, the model runs and diagnostics are successfully written in the model output mdsio files. The problem is that the newly added diagnostic, OMEGAC, is filled with zeros. I guess that it has something to do with either 'diagCode' from step 1 (which I set to  'SMRP    MR      ' like for DICBIOA, which seemed to be correct after Table 7.1: http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node268.html), or with the bibjFlg from step 2 (which I set to 1 because omegaC is not modified in 'dic_biotic_forcing.F', following instructions given at the top of the same page).

Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
Alexandre