[MITgcm-support] Open boundary conditions

Dustin Carroll dcarroll at uoregon.edu
Thu Oct 23 11:24:43 EDT 2014

Hi Xiangming,

OBCSbalance = .TRUE., will balance at each time step. If your OB forcing period is not equal to your time step, the OB will be linearly interpolated at each time step — (i.e., the balance time scale is determined by your deltaT).

With OBCSbalance off, the model eta is just responding to what you are prescribing at the OB — so double check that your net transport is 0 at the boundary (u+v).

As Martin recommended, there is lots of useful information in the listserv archives on this topic. Also look at documentation section 6.3.1

Cheers,
Dustin