[MITgcm-support] Open boundary conditions

Xiangming Zeng xzeng2 at ncsu.edu
Thu Oct 23 09:40:05 EDT 2014

Hi Dustin and Martin,

Thanks a lot for your reply. The OBC I provided is the HYCOM velocity (u
and v) and TS. Actually, for my case, there's only one eastern open
boundary. Following previous discussion in the mailing list, I did the OBCS
balance during the preprocessing with one day time scale ( because the OB
data is provided every day).

However, I still have several questions:

1) During the OBCS preprocessing, I only balanced the U velocity along
eastern boundary. I'm not sure whether it's right or not. Because the
change of U will affect the velocity direction along the open boundary (
remember V is not changed).

2) For the OBCSbalance option, does it balance the in/out flow every time
step? Furthermore, what's the influence of different balance time scale
(e.g., every time step/day/month)? Is the balance time scale determined by
the time interval of OB data provided?

Thanks much for all your help.
Best,
Xiangming