[MITgcm-support] Calculation of the value of the density in the SHELFICElo adAnomalyFile in data.shelfice

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Oct 13 09:48:54 EDT 2014

Liu,

did you have a look at the verification example isomip?
If not, please have a look at verification/isomip/input/gendata.m
There I compute the pressure and phiHydF for one column underneath the ice shelp under the assumption that temperature and salinty are horizontally homogeneous, i.e., that the water the ice shelf pushed aside, was horizontally homogeneous. Obviously for a realistic set up that does not work and you have to assume something about the “virtual hydrography”, most likely your pressure and phiHydF are 3D fields (i.e. columns in each horizontal grid point). But in any way it is important to compute and saver a phi0surf from phiHyd in exaclty the same way as it is done in this example.

I hope that helps you. I can dig up my matlab code to compute phi0surf for experiments realistic topography once I have returned to my office. Right now it’s a little difficult.

Martin