[MITgcm-support] Calculation of the value of the density in the SHELFICEloadAnomal yFile in data.shelfice

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Sat Oct 11 18:50:01 EDT 2014

Hi Liu,

The principle behind this is: When you “put in” an ice shelf it replaces the ocean water and by Archmedes’ principle it’s total mass is the same as that of the water it replaces. You cannot know rho* exactly except for idealized experiments, but you have to find some approximation to it so that your Ptop is in approximate balance with your surrounding hydrography. rho* can be something like the average of the surrounding ocean densities extrapolated into the ice shelf.
When you start the model, the free surface will adjust to your Ptop; if you have chosen a Ptop (rho*) that is far from equilibrium, then the adjustmet will be large, leading to large velocities and then to numerical instability. You then either improve your Ptop (preferred and usually not difficult), or you run the model with very short time step for a spinup that can handle the large adjustments until there is a quasi-equilibrium (with some funny free surface ETAN in the ice cavities).

Hope that helps,

Martin