[MITgcm-support] SSS restoring in selected regions

Dan Jones dcjones.work at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 06:03:42 EDT 2014

Hello dear support list,

I am currently using the EXF package to restore the surface salinity of my
Southern Ocean model to a monthly climatology.  I am doing this in order to
discourage the formation of polynyas and the subsequent onset of deep
convection in the Weddell and Ross seas.  The SSS restoring works, but
since I restore at each surface grid cell, the restoring process alters the
salinity of mode waters.

Is it possible to use EXF to only restore in a selected region (e,g, south
of the Polar Front, south of a given latitude)?  If this is not already
built into EXF, is there a place in the source code where I could place a
simple "if, then" statement to only restore south of a given latitude?

Many thanks,
Dan

Dr Dan Jones
British Antarctic Survey, NERC