[MITgcm-support] Heat budget in MITGCM

Abhisek Chakraborty abhisek.sac at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 02:29:06 EST 2014

Dear Users,

I am trying to analyze heat budget in MITGCM. From the diagnostic
outputs I have the following terms

TOTTTEND , ADVr_TH, ADVx_TH, ADVy_TH, DFrE_TH, DFxE_TH, DFyE_TH,
DFrI_TH, KPPg_TH, TFLUX (i.e. all terms corresponding to tendency,
advection, diffusion, KPP and total heat flux).

Apart from these, I have other usual outputs like THETA, SALT etc.

The tendency term is in degC/day, the other terms are in degC*m^3/s
and TFLUX is in W/m^2. Thus I have converted the tendency term into
degC/s by dividing by 86400.0 and the advection-diffusion terms are
divided by cell volume (=RAC*RF*HFACC).

I am using "linFSconserveTr=True".

For the surface layer I have to consider TFLUX (watt/m^2), but how to
convert it into degC/s unit?

For subsurface levels, I am trying to equate tendency term with
(advection + diffusion + KPP term). But there is a mismatch.

Can somebody please guide me how to achieve the exact heat budget for
both surface and subsurface levels ?

Thanking in advance,
Abhisek

--

*ABHISEK CHAKRABORTY*

*Scientist - "SD"Oceanic Sciences Division (*AOSG/EPSA)*

*Space Applications Centre*

*Indian Space Research Organization*

*Ahmedabad - 380 015*

*Gujarat, INDIA*
*Contact: +91-79-2691-6054 (O), +91-79-2686-1929(R)*