[MITgcm-support] Nonhydrostatic mode and Kinetic energy

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Wed Nov 12 15:41:34 EST 2014

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for pointing to this problem. I don't think there is
a problem in the code, but the documentation would need to be fixed.
Note that the expression of KE diagnosed in the monitor:
 pkg/monitor/mon_ke.F
contains the W contribution.

The KE as computed in pkg/mom_common/mom_calc_ke.F is used
a) for the quadratic bottom drags: without the W contribution, KE scale
  like the vertical shear, so not sure W should be added.
b) in some Reynolds scaling for horizontal viscosity (pkg/mom_common/mom_calc_visc.F):
  all these viscosity calculations are using only the horizontal velocity,
  so it seems more consistent to keep using KE without W contribution.
c) in the vector-invariant momentum formulation:
  here it's clear that KE should not include the W contribution
  since the the vorticity part only deal with horizontal components of the velocity.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel