[MITgcm-support] Nonhydrostatic mode and Kinetic energy

Fancer Lancer fancer.lancer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 02:16:39 EST 2014

Hello MITgcm developers and users.

I've discovered an inconsistency between the User's manual and the code.
There is a routine, which calculates KE at any k-level MOM_CALC_KE() it
resides the pkg/mom_common/mom_calc_ke.F . The manual states, that in the
nonhydrostatic mode it is supposed to be calculated as:
KE = 0.5*(u^2 + v^2 + e_{nh} w^2),
but there is no vertical velocity in the  MOM_CALC_KE() routine at all. On
the first glance (I'm not completely sure) this mistake should not affect
the bottom drag forces, since there is the impermeable condition on the
bottom. But there may be some other modules where KE is used and where w is
not zero.
Could someone clarify whether I'm right or wrong?

Sincerely,
-Sergey

Sergey V. Semin
Post graduate course student
- Applied Mathematics and Informatics, Institute of Radio-electronics and
IT,
NNSTU n.a. R.E.Alekseev, Russia