[MITgcm-support] THSIce noisy/unphysical output

Patrick Watts Watts at atm.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 7 12:05:21 EST 2014

Hi MITgcmers,

I have been running the model in a coupled setup, with ocean, a CheapAML atmosphere, and using the THSIce model. The resolution is very high (20m in all directions) and the setup is idealised, essentially a doubly periodic box.

The output of the ice model is extremely noisy, with a pattern repeating for each tile (see attached for an example). I have tried changing the time step, minimum ice thickness, and mask of the ice model, as well as the fortran optimisation, number of tiles, and the number of grid points overlapping between tiles - the pattern has changed and there can be larger variations in ice thickness overlying it, but nothing so far has actually got rid of it.

Absolutely any suggestions of what the root cause could be or how I can try to get rid of it are appreciated.
Thanks,
Patrick