[MITgcm-support] Help me get rid of my noise!

Dimitris Menemenlis dmenemenlis at gmail.com
Thu May 8 13:10:16 EDT 2014

Ryan, it's very long ago so I don't remember the details nor
am I sure whether relevant to your problem, but we did have
some issues with grid-scale noise and KPP early on.
In case it is still useful, here is an "old" description of this problem:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40292774/ECCO/kpp.pdf
One thing to note is that Gradient-Richardson-based schemes
tend to maintain grid scale noise patterns because K is increased
in unstratified grid columns and decreased in stratified grid columns,
a positive feedback loop.  This KPP grid scale noise led to
development of following KPP_OPTIONS:

C o When set, smooth shear horizontally with 121 filters
#define KPP_SMOOTH_SHSQ
#undef KPP_SMOOTH_DVSQ

C o When set, smooth dbloc KPP variable horizontally
#define KPP_SMOOTH_DBLOC

C o When set, smooth all KPP density variables horizontally
#undef KPP_SMOOTH_DENS
#ifdef KPP_SMOOTH_DENS
#  define KPP_SMOOTH_DBLOC
#endif

C o When set, smooth vertical viscosity horizontally
#undef KPP_SMOOTH_VISC

C o When set, smooth vertical diffusivity horizontally
#undef KPP_SMOOTH_DIFF

C o Vertically smooth Ri (for interior shear mixing)
#undef ALLOW_KPP_VERTICALLY_SMOOTH