[MITgcm-support] Help me get rid of my noise!

Ryan Abernathey ryan.abernathey at gmail.com
Thu May 8 12:06:36 EDT 2014

Hi folks,

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I am going to resurrect this thread,
because I still have some weirdness happening in my mixed layer.

After integrating longer, the stuff over the slope settled down. However,
there are still apparently some strong, shallow convection cells happening
in my mixed layer in the northern part of the domain, just as Jody
suggested. (See new attached figure.) There are little convective chimneys
with the width of a single grid point, so perhaps this is the hydrostatic
convection that Christopher mentioned. These cells lead to lots of grid
scale weirdness at the base of the mixed layer. In particular, there are
sharp grid-scale meridional gradients in the vertical diffusive heat flux
(the step-like patten visible in the third panel), accompanied by strange
looking patterns of GGL TKE. These cells are completely steady and
persistent in time. (The GMREDI parametrization is not the culprit--its
fields are relatively smooth. And almost the exact same thing happens with
KPP instead of GGL.)

I just don't understand why I should be having resolved "convection"
happening in my mixed layer. Isn't the job of the boundary layer
parameterization? This is problematic for me because the meridional heat
transport associated with these mixed layer cells results in the surface
heat flux being unevenly communicated to the interior. For my particular
application, I would really prefer for these fields to be more smooth.

So is this also physically realistic? My feeling is no. And if not, how can
I eliminate them!?

Thanks again.

-Ryan