[MITgcm-support] MITgcm-support Digest, Vol 128, Issue 38

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Mar 20 04:34:28 EDT 2014

Neil,

please have a look at <http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node129.html>, more specifically <http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node131.html#SECTION004122100000000000000> where a couple of stability criteria are described. The CFL criterion for advection is only one of them (usually the most important one, but at high resolution the one for viscosity often hits you and that’s why the Leith-scheme and the normalized parameters viscAhGrid etc are so useful).

Martin

On Mar 20, 2014, at 12:28 AM, Neil Patel <nigellius at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. Btw, it looked like my issue was my time step was too big. It was stable for a long time, but eventually crashed with enough model time. I tried using the same time step you described (600 second). Is it possible at 1/6° and Leith Viscosity a larger time step could be stable? Is the time step determined by the CFL criterion or something else?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil
>

>> Message: 3
>> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 17:25:17 -0800
>> From: Dimitris Menemenlis <dmenemenlis at gmail.com>
>> To: MITgcm Support <mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org>
>> Subject: Re: [MITgcm-support] Viscosity parameters
>>
>> If you want to use Leith, you could start by trying:
>>
>> viscC4Leith=1.5,
>> viscC4Leithd=1.5,
>> viscA4GridMax=0.5,
>>
>> These are the values we use for the CS510 configuration,
>> which is close to 1/6-deg grid spacing around Equator.
>> A description of this Leith+ scheme is here:
>> http://ecco2.org/manuscripts/2008/FoxKemperMenemenlis08.pdf
>>
>> On Feb 27, 2014, at 4:44 PM, Neil Patel <nigellius at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've read the details of the Leith / Smagorinsky parameters. I presume they're a replacement to setting viscAhGrid/viscAhGridMax parameters, but not sure what the advantages or disadvantages of either are.
>>

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:28:40 +0100
>> From: Martin Losch <Martin.Losch at awi.de>
>> To: MITgcm Support <mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org>
>> Subject: Re: [MITgcm-support] Viscosity parameters
>>
>> Neil,
>>
>> I think that your viscAhGrid is too small. I?d try something like 0.1
>> Also you might want to try biharmonic viscA4Grid.
>>
>> The flow dependent viscosity parameterization (especially Leith, see Dimitris suggestion) are usually the most stable choices.
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> On Feb 28, 2014, at 1:44 AM, Neil Patel <nigellius at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm having trouble understanding the different viscosity parameters. Read the mitgcm manual many time over but still am confused. From what I can tell:
>>>
>>> 1) Vertical eddy viscosity doesn't affect the numerical stability, so choose the value closest to the observations for ViscAr
>>> 2) Horizontal eddy viscosity does affect the numerical stability and the number chosen should be similar to various energy scaling / grid parameters.
>>>
>>> currently, I'm running a 1/6? resolution simulation. I set
>>>
>>> viscAr=5.6614E-04,
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> viscAhGrid=0.01,
>>> viscAhReMax =0.1,