[MITgcm-support] rbcs advice

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Fri Mar 7 12:40:40 EST 2014

Hi All,

On Mar 4, 2014, at  8:50 AM, Jody Klymak <jklymak at uvic.ca> wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2014, at  7:51 AM, Menemenlis, Dimitris (3248) <Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>> You would not need sponge layer because the hourly obcs boundary conditions would naturally take care of most radiation issues.
>
> Do you think its true that I could just force w/ obcs and do away w/ the sponge?

So, I wanted to report that this works great.  Nesting inside my coarser run, interpolating the initial condition and the boundary conditions onto the smaller nest, and just running, seems steady to the large scale (mode-1 internal tide) forcing for at least two tidal cycles.  No need for a sponge.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.  Cheers,  Jody