[MITgcm-support] rbcs advice

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Tue Mar 4 09:38:54 EST 2014

Hi Dimitris,

On Mar 4, 2014, at  4:13 AM, Menemenlis, Dimitris (3248) <Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> I think what you are looking for is obcs_sponge.F
> which is set using useOBCSsponge and spongeThickness
> in pkg/obcs
>
> examples how this is used are in
> MITgcm/verification/obcs_ctrl/input_ad/data.obcs
> MITgcm/verification/seaice_obcs/input.seaiceSponge/data.obcs

Sure, I've used obcs_sponge a lot as well.

The problem for baroclinic flows is that the sponge is usually a good fraction of a mode-1 wavelength, so you really want incoming waves to be able to propagate through the sponge.  Using rbcs works pretty well for this, but comes at significant i/o expense.

It would be nice if there was a version of obcs_sponge that read in the whole sponge, and didn't just use the boundary condition as the sponge forcing.

Thanks,   Jody