[MITgcm-support] OBCS (open boundary forcing) problem

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Jan 28 11:15:08 EST 2014

Hi Jonny,

I am assuming that your boundaries are specified like this:
 OB_Ieast = 450*-1,
 OB_Iwest = 450*1,
or something like that to have the open boundary on the first and the last (Nx’th) grid point. The boundary conditions are implemented in such a way that you are supposed to have exactly the prescribed value on the boundary. You can easily check that when you prescribe bcs that are constant in time.
Your figure suggests to me that theses values on the boundaries are not exactly the same (although I cannot be sure). Rather because the velocity is opposite to the remaining domain and the color scale of matlab automatically accomodates the high negative (westward) velocities, the values look similar. Is that possible? I would check if you haven’t made a sign error when generating the boundary values.

For more, I’d have to have a closer look at your configuration (data.* files and the “code” directory).

Martin