[MITgcm-support] eddy transported by mean flow barotropic gyre

Peng Zhan peng.zhan at kaust.edu.sa
Wed Feb 26 15:12:55 EST 2014

Hi Yang,
I suppose that you added the eddy by adjusting the wind stress would only
affect the surface/ near-surface current, for which the EKE is not high
enough for propagation. Have you checked how deep is your strong small eddy?
Peng

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 9:47 AM, yang.zhang <yang.zhang at mun.ca> wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> I am using MITgcm barotropic gyre  to generate a background mean flow,
> then when the flow is stable,  I suddenly add a strong small eddy (with
> radius smaller than Rossby deformation radius) by adjusting wind stress at
> some time point,
>
> I am expecting to see :
> this edyy will be transported by the mean flow and evolves with it.
>
> However, the eddy is just sitting there and distort the local stream for a
> while then the flow field restored back to the previous stable state.
>
> I am using a  closed basin , free-slip boundary condition, with the
> horizontal diffusion coefficient Ah=0 for the momemtum equation.
> 500m water depth
> 256x256 horizontal grid.
>

> Any suggestion ?
>
> Thank you!
> yang

Peng ZHAN

PhD Student
Earth Science & Engineering (ErSE)
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)
Bldg 1, Lv 4, 4700 KAUST, Thuwal 23955-6900, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Mobile: +966 544701621
Email: *peng.zhan at kaust.edu.sa <peng.zhan at kaust.edu.sa>*

--

this email.