[MITgcm-support] eddy transported by mean flow barotropic gyre

yang.zhang yang.zhang at mun.ca
Wed Feb 26 14:47:16 EST 2014

Hi, all

I am using MITgcm barotropic gyre  to generate a background mean flow, then
when the flow is stable,  I suddenly add a strong small eddy (with radius
smaller than Rossby deformation radius) by adjusting wind stress at some
time point,

I am expecting to see :
this edyy will be transported by the mean flow and evolves with it.

However, the eddy is just sitting there and distort the local stream for a
while then the flow field restored back to the previous stable state.

I am using a  closed basin , free-slip boundary condition, with the
horizontal diffusion coefficient Ah=0 for the momemtum equation.
500m water depth
256x256 horizontal grid.

Any suggestion ?

Thank you!