[MITgcm-support] Inconsistent freshwater fluxes in/out of ocean+seaice

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Feb 5 10:13:31 EST 2014

Katy,

I am not sure, if I understand what you want to diagnose, but as far as I know, oceFWflx is the freshwater flux into the ocean (positive downward), while SIatmFW tries to diagnose the freshwater flux out of the atmosphere. Since there can be sea ice between atmosphere and ocean, this fresh water does not necessarily enter the ocean directly. Don’t nail me down on the sign conventions, but I think that their
SIatmFW - oceFWflx should give you the net freshwater flux into (out of?) the ice. That should be the same as the variations in ice volume (HEFF), but due to subteties in the timestepping and diagnostics output that may not always be the case.

I think there is an example of what to diagnose to do it properly in verification/global_ocean.cs32x15/input.seaice/data.diagnostics, but I am also attaching a data.diagnostics and a matlab script that I once used to check the conservation properties (of seaice).

Martin