[MITgcm-support] KPP Diagnostics

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Sun Dec 7 12:55:44 EST 2014

Hi Chris,

I don't think there is an error in the diagnostic units of KPPg_SLT
(psu.m^3/s, as it appears in "available_diagnostics.log") and units are
also consistent with other interior flux diagnostics from pkg/generic_advdiff
(e.g., advective fluxes ADVx,y,r_SLT and diffusive fluxes DFx,y,rE,I_SLT)
where diagnostics KPPg_SLT is filled up (pkg/generic_advdiff/gad_calc_rhs.F,
line 677).

Regarding salinity units, you can interpret "psu" as beeing "g/kg":
this would be exact if using TEOS10 eq. of state; but even with other
EOS, the way salinity is treated in MITgcm corresponds to absolute salinity
and has nothing to do with conductivity (from which real "psu" is related).

An finally, regarding this:
> >From my reading of the documentation, it should be the case that
> KPPg_SLT = KPP_ghatK * surForcS
I don't know where this comes from (did not find it in the manual).
May be we should fix this part to avoid any units confusion.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel