[MITgcm-support] KPP and Double-Diffusion

Edwards, Erick (LCDR) eledward at nps.edu
Tue Aug 12 12:43:39 EDT 2014

Developers,

First, I have a question about one of the equations in 'kpp_routines.F.'   In the subroutine KPP_DOUBLEDIFF, under part 'b' (diffusive case), the calculation for 'nuddt(I,J)' is given.  This equation corresponds to Large et al. (1994) equation (32).  However, I noticed in the paper the equation is given as

nuddt/numol = 0.909 exp (4.6 exp [-0.54 (R_rho^(-1) - 1)]).

In kpp_routines.F, a -5.4 appears where -0.54 appears in the paper.  Is this an error?

Second, what is the best way to eliminate all diffusivity contributions except double-diffusion in the KPP package?  Will defining 'EXCLUDE_KPP_SHEAR_MIX' in KPP_OPTIONS.h do the trick, or are there other steps that need to be taken?

Thank you,

Erick Edwards