[MITgcm-support] explanation of eddy-permitting and eddy-resolving resolutions

Stefano Querin squerin at ogs.trieste.it
Tue Aug 12 11:59:23 EDT 2014

Hi Jonny,

as regards a definition for e-p and e-r models, a first degree
approximation can be found in this paper (and references therein),
namely (p. 427):

"Assuming that the eddy-permitting numerical models need 2–3
horizontal nodes per mesoscale structure and eddy-resolving needs 4–5
nodes, we can conclude that eddy-permitting and eddy-resolving models
should have respective horizontal resolutions of at least 5 km and 2.5
km for the main basins of the southern Baltic."

Hope this helps...
Cheers!

Stefano