[MITgcm-support] setting mdsioLocalDir at runtime

Daniel Goldberg dngoldberg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 03:58:29 EDT 2014

Hi all

I apologize if this has been posted to the list before, but a google search
could not locate anything.

I was wondering if there exists, or should exist, a facility to set
parameters at runtime other than through input files. The parameter I am
thinking of if mdsioLocalDir, and the situation I am thinking of is one in
which the user is using several compute nodes, and wishes to write to local
space on the nodes to avoid NFS issues. mdsioLocalDir offers a way around
it, but in general the target directory will have a different name on
different nodes.

One one system I was able to hack this by modifying ini_parms.F and
querying environment variables, but there must be a more elegant way to
handle this? I imagine this must be an issue (avoiding jamming up the NFS)
for a fair number of users but as I said I couldn't find what I was looking
for googling old posts.

Thanks
Dan

--