[MITgcm-support] how to control obcs balance flow ?

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 18 00:18:43 EDT 2014

Hello

I correct OBCS as part of preprocessing and don't rely on ALLOW_OBCS_BALANCE.

Basically you know the inflow/outflow that you want -- so correct your prescribed obcs to have that magnitude inflow.

E.g. if you have a solution from another model that you are gonna make your southern boundary, first interpolate that field to your new model grid. Then make the net prescribed flow through a part of that (e.g. over each 1 degree section) to be the exact same as the original. This usually requires a perturbation to the velocity of about .001cm/s. But if you don't make that correction SSH will run away from you….so its a vital correction.

Matt