[MITgcm-support] Compiling MITgcm on NCAR's Yellowstone

Michael Bates m_bates at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 6 15:08:42 EDT 2013

Hi Valerie,

I'm running on Yellowstone.  If you have the appropriate modules loaded
(I think that ncarcompilers, intel, impi and netcdf should cover pretty
much everything), this is all you should need for your includes and
libraries:
LIBS=$LIB_NCAR
INCLUDES="$INC_NCAR -I${I_MPI_ROOT}intel64/include"

In theory the ${I_MPI_ROOT}intel64/include bit shouldn't be necessary,
but it is and the reason why is a bit mysterious both to me and the
helpdesk at Yellowstone.

Below is the contents of my optfile.  Good luck!

cheers,
Michael

FC=mpif90
CC=mpicc
F90C=mpif90

DEFINES='-DALLOW_USE_MPI -DALWAYS_USE_MPI -DWORDLENGTH=4'
CPP='/lib/cpp  -traditional -P'
EXTENDED_SRC_FLAG='-132'
OMPFLAG='-openmp'
CFLAGS='-fPIC'
LDADD='-shared-intel'

LIBS=$LIB_NCAR
INCLUDES="$INC_NCAR -I${I_MPI_ROOT}intel64/include"

CPPINCLUDES=$INC_NCAR

NOOPTFLAGS='-O0 -fPIC'

FFLAGS="-fPIC -convert big_endian -assume byterecl -align -march=corei7
-axAVX"
FDEBUG='-W0 -WB'
FFLAGS="$FDEBUG $FFLAGS"

FOPTIM='-O2'
FOPTIM="$FOPTIM -ip -fp-model precise -traceback -ftz"

On 09/06/2013 02:56 PM, Valerie Bennington wrote:
> I am wondering if any other MITgcm users are (or have been) compiling and running MITgcm on NCAR's Yellowstone. I am trying to create an optfile with the appropriate compilers (MPIF77 and  MPICC). I am not sure how to properly provide the INCLUDES for the Yellowstone machine (INCLUDES='-I/opt/ibmhpc/pecurrent/mpich2/intel/include64 -I/glade/u/apps/opt/netcdf-mpi/4.2/intel/default/include') or the libraries ('-L/glade/u/apps/opt/netcdf-mpi/4.2/intel/default/lib -lnetcdf'). Does anyone have an optfile they are willing to share?
>
> Thanks,
> Val

Michael Bates
Postdoctoral Associate
Room 54-1517
Program in Atmospheres, Oceans and Climate
Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA 02139
USA
Ph:  +1 617 253 5458