[MITgcm-support] How to glue mnc output files with the cube-sphere exch2 grid ?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Nov 21 05:53:49 EST 2013

Hi Alexandre,

this is exactly the expected result. This experiment uses the cubed sphere that does not have the simple connectivity of a regluar lon-lat-grid, so you cannot simply glue the faces together in the same way in that you cannot create a 2D cube.

There are some matlab or python functions in the utils directory that you can use to visualize the output of scalar fields. E.g. in matlab:

t = rdmds('THETA'); % gives you a field 192x32x15 field, right?
xg=rdmds('XG'); % 192x32
yg=rdmds('YG'); % 192x32

then
cs_pcol(xg,yg,theta(:,:,1)) % I am attaching this function, as it does not seem to in the repository
should give you the surface temperature on a simple cyclindrical map projection.

There is more in the utils/matlab/cs_grid directory that maybe interesting for you.

in python something like (I am using output of global_ocean.cs32x15 here):
import MITgcmutils as mit
g=mit.rdmnc('grid.*')
s=mit.rdmnc('state.*','Temp')
mit.cs.pcol(g["XG"],g["YG"],s["Temp"][0,0,:,:])

Martin