[MITgcm-support] question about convection in nonhydrostatic and hydrostatic

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Nov 18 08:39:44 EST 2013

Hi Ping,

the non-hydrostatic dynamics by themselves don't "do" anything. I like to see it the other way around: Once you resolve convective scales (order 100m and less), ie. when you grid spacing is very fine, you need to turn on the non-hydrostatic dynamics, because the flow is now long hydrostatic, also for numerical reasons (you get "grid cell storms" in very high resolution hydrostatic models).

This means that even with non-hydrostatic dynamics, you can have a convection scheme turned (ivdc_kappa = "some value", I think 1000 is way to large, is only one option, btw), but you may not want to because resolve the convection explicitly. If you need to parameterize the convection, you should evaluate if you need the expensive non-hydrostatic dynamcs at all.

Martin