[MITgcm-support] question about convection in nonhydrostatic and hydrostatic

Ping Zhai pingzhai at MIT.EDU
Sat Nov 16 10:44:21 EST 2013

Hi,
I am confused about the convection parameterization in a nonhydrostatic
model.
I know that in the hydrostatic option, the convection can be
parameterized by setting ivdc_kappa=1000 (or other value) when the
stratification is unstable.
Do I need to set ivdc_kappa in nonhydrostatic option? Does nohydrostatic
model resolve the convection so that we don't need to parameterize
convection as in hydrostatic model? If I set ivdc_kappa=1000 in a
nonhydrostatic model, does it conflict with the model?
Best,
Ping