[MITgcm-support] Fastopt enforcing changes to adjoint build process

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 7 07:32:34 EST 2013

To MITgcm users of the commercial AD tool TAF:

Fastopt has recently announced its plan to discontinue compatibility
with its "version 1" (removal of TAF option "-v1"), which is
the way MITgcm builds the adjoint using the commercial tool TAF.
Fastopt has released a patch that is available for download from their website.

We do *not* recommend downloading this patch before the MITgcm development team
has had the opportunity to thoroughly test this patch, perform necessary
benchmarks, and understand the implications for some of the core applications
(an earlier patch provided in December 2012 was unworkable).

We are currently waiting for Fastopt to provide the requested resources
for us to perform these tests and benchmarks.
In the meantime, should Fastopt remove the "-v1" option, we will provide
a workaround that you will be able to download from MITgcm's website.

Best wishes
-Patrick

---
Patrick Heimbach | heimbach at mit.edu | http://www.mit.edu/~heimbach
MIT | EAPS 54-1420 | 77 Massachusetts Ave | Cambridge MA 02139 USA
FON +1-617-253-5259 | FAX +1-617-253-4464 | SKYPE patrick.heimbach