[MITgcm-support] cpus on land points

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Fri Jul 26 12:05:21 EDT 2013

Hi Jody,

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 05:31:07PM +0200, Jody Klymak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Jul 26, 2013, at  17:14 PM, Gianmaria Sannino <gianmaria.sannino at enea.it> wrote:
> > I was wondering if there is any way for MITgcm to avoid using cpus running only land points?

regarding this point, if you use pkg/exch2 (turned on at compile time only),
you can specify a list of "blank" tiles. You can takea look at
verification/global_ocean.90x40x15, where the non MPI test (compiled with
 code/SIZE.h) does not use blank tiles, but the MPI built (using code/SIZE.h_mpi)
use a blank tiles list (input/data.exch2.mpi).

> I've wondered this too - i.e. if there was an easy mechanism to allow the user to specify which tiles neighbour which other ones.  It would help a lot in designing grids for fjords or other oddly-shaped bodies of water.
>
> Bonus points would be for allowing each grid to specify its own dx and dy independently of other grids (except for the adjacent neighbour, of course).  You could imagine convoluted structures:
>
> G9  G8  G7
> G10     G6
> G11     G5
>         G4
> G1  G2  G3
>
> One could imagine if G10 and G11 were your domain of interest, and G1-9 somewhere with larger physical extent that you might want G10 and G11 to have smaller dy than G6 and G5, and smaller dx than G1 (though of course the same dx as G9).
>
> If not already implemented, pointers on how to hack this into the code would be very welcome.

regarding this other point, MITgcm support irregular (but locally orthogonal) grid.
> usingCurvilinearGrid=.TRUE.,
you just need to provide the right grid files.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel