[MITgcm-support] Surface waves relaxation without viscosity terms

Oliver Jahn jahn at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 31 08:58:11 EST 2013

Hello Quentin,

I think you solved your problem, but just to clarify (and at the risk of
stating the obvious) I'd like to point out that for simple monthly
averages you do not need averagingFreq nor repeatCycle, but just
frequency(1) = 2592000.  I am getting the impression that this may be
what you want, but maybe I am wrong.

averagingFreq and repeatCycle are basically for climatologies: you want
to average the January of each year and then only write the average of
all the Januaries, all the Februaries, etc, i.e. only 12 averages for
several years.  If frequency is also set to a number of years smaller
than the model run, you will get multiple climatologies.  Say frequency
is 10 years.  Then you get a separate climatology for every decade.  And
yes, in the mnc file there will be funny time values, clustered at the
end of each decade.  But for a climatology, there isn't really a single
"time of averaging" for each record, but several.

Cheers,
Oliver