[MITgcm-support] Advice on writing 2-D vertical sections from 3-D model

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Feb 7 05:15:50 EST 2013

Hi Jody

as far as I know there is no generic code for writing slabs in a
convenient (and efficient) way. [There is a very inefficient way using
the diagStats machinery, but that will be very slow, basically each of
your grid points in your xz-slab is a separate region.]

For snap-shots of U,V,W, and T, I would call WRITE_REC_XZ_RL in
model/src/write_state.F and comment out writing the 3D fields, and then
you can use the regular dumpFreq to control the save intervals.
I think you can use the existing code as templates.

When I am trying to subsample large output (e.g. just a vertical slice
or a couple of grid points), I usually write the full 3D arrays
temporarily to scratch-disk and do a post processing step in a separate
program that reads the 3D file(s), cuts out and saves what I want and
then deletes the 3D file(s). That works fairly well in "chain-jobs"
where I have to restart the model anyway.

Martin