[MITgcm-support] problems with making initial temperature and salt file ?

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Thu Dec 19 11:14:29 EST 2013

On Dec 19, 2013, at  7:26 AM, Menemenlis, Dimitris (3248) <Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

>> if I comment the reference temperature and salt  ,use the
>>  hydrogThetaFile='initemp.bin',
>>  hydrogSaltFile= 'inisalt.bin',
>>
>> the model runs some steps ,then appeared     NaN ,NaN
>>                                              NaN ,NaN
>
> Try reducing time step (deltat) until initial shock is passed.
>
>> Nr =1 should correspond to the 36th vertical grid ’ temperature value ?
>
> No. Nr=1 is the surface level.

More importantly, you may have specified your ocean to be statically unstable, and you may have set up a huge convection problem if you put all the heavy water on the top of the water column.

Strongly suggest saving every time step of output and looking at the results when having startup problems.  You may have seen that the temperature field was upside down.  If not, you will see the nature of your instability, and perhaps decide to decrease the time step, or perhaps coarsen your grid.

Cheers,   Jody