[MITgcm-support] format of input files wrong in regional model with open boundary conditions?

Jonny Williams Jonny.Williams at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Dec 19 10:31:13 EST 2013

Hello there

Many thanks for all the extremely useful help received so far on my
regional model. I now have the model running, which is brilliant but
inevitably there is more to do!

At the moment I am running my model with the EXF (external forcing) package
only but eventually I want to run it with the OBCS (open boundary
conditions) package too as is the case for the Arctic regional simulation
that my model is based upon.

I am trying to run with constant forcing (unphysical sure but hopefully
simple!) but my model diverges after four timesteps. I've attached 3
figures which hopefully will show clearly enough what is going on. At the
4th timestep (4dt) the latitude-depth plots of ocean potential temperature
look fine but then there is a mega divergence at the 5th (5dt). I've
attached global plots and one which zooms in on latitude above the equator.
The latitudinal extent of the model is -70 < latitude >10. Basically my
question is *does anyone recognise this type of divergence or have any
ideas as to what I might try next to fix this?*

I am using the following syntax for the forcing in my data.exf file...

atempstartdate1   = 19780101,
atempstartdate2   = 000000,
atempperiod       = 000000,

... which I believe is correct for uniform and steady forcing?

Many thanks!

Jonny
[image: Inline images 1][image: Inline images 2][image: Inline images 3]40
minute timesteps

jonny.williams at bristol.ac.uk
bit.ly/jonnywilliams