[MITgcm-support] problems with making initial temperature and salt file ?

李志远 oceanlizy at 163.com
Thu Dec 19 09:26:39 EST 2013

From: lizhiyuan <oceanlizy at 163.com>
>To: MITgcm <mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org>
>Subject: problems with making initial temperature and salt file  ?

deal all ,
                When I set up my own mit model , I made all the binary input files  ,such as bathymetry file , initial temperature and salt files ,and windstress file . I found that ,when I use the reference temperature and reference salt , “tRef=36*20,sRef=36*35,”and comment the

hydrogThetaFile='initemp.bin', hydrogSaltFile= 'inisalt.bin', the model runs normally .But if I comment the reference temperature and salt  ,use the

 hydrogThetaFile='initemp.bin',

 hydrogSaltFile= 'inisalt.bin',

the model runs some steps ,then appeared     NaN ,NaN

                                             NaN ,NaN

I think that there maybe something wrong with making my initial temperature and salt files . I guess it is because the data in vertical do not match the bathymetry .my grid parameters is below:

 delX=134*0.1,

 delY=165*0.1,

 delZ=  2,3,5,5,5,5,

        5,5,5,5,5,5,

        5,5,5,7,8,10,

        15,20,25,30,40,50,

        60,100,150,200,250,300,

        400,500,500,500,500,500,

There are 36 levels in vertical , the total depth is 4235m .Then there are 134x165x36 grids in total . In the vertical direction , the first grid correspond to depth =1 , second grid correspond to depth=3.5 ,etc..... The 36th grid correspond to depth=3985 . In this way ,thefirst vertical grid until the 36th grid locate at half of each level . My initial temperature data is made in this way, 134x165x36 as theresult . But I looked the manual ,in the test “global ocean simulation at 4 degree  resolution

in pressure coordinates” .File input/lev_t/s.bin  ,it said that “keep in mind ,that the first index correspond to the bottom layer and highest index to the surface layer .” I doubt that when I made my initial three dimensional data (Nx *Ny*Nr ), Nr =1 should correspond to the 36th vertical grid ’ temperature value ?

  someone told me that ,when you use three dimensional initial temperature and salt file  ,you must turn on OBCS package , does he said right ?

 your quick reply will be greatly appreciated  ,thank you !