[MITgcm-support] format of input files wrong in regional model with open boundary conditions?

Jonny Williams Jonny.Williams at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Dec 10 11:28:48 EST 2013

Thank you again!

Those are both great suggestions and I will have a look at both.

My current hypothesis is that I have gotten something wrong in SIZE.h

Currently I have the following parameters

*      PARAMETER (*
*     &           sNx =  41,*
*     &           sNy =  89,*
*     &           OLx =   4,*
*     &           OLy =   4,*
*     &           nSx =   1,*
*     &           nSy =   3,*
*     &           nPx =  11,*
*     &           nPy =   3,*
.
.
.
... and my grid NetCDF files (which are being created correctly it seems)
have 99 grid elements, which is equal to (nSx*nPx)*(nSy*nPy) in my current
setup. I am currently playing around with these numbers to see if this
makes a difference.

Thanks again!

Jonny

On 10 December 2013 16:13, Patrick Heimbach <heimbach at mit.edu> wrote:

> Jonny,
>
> On Dec 10, 2013, at 10:12 AM, Jonny Williams <Jonny.Williams at bristol.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > Given what you have just said , would it therefore be reasonable to
> assume that the dimensions of the input files I have created are wrong?
>
> That might indeed be the case.
>
> Either wrong dimensions or you are providing real*8 fields where the model
> expects real*4?
> (you'd have to look what accuracy you are prescribing).
>
> One way to find out is to see how many time steps the model runs
> successfully, i.e. how many records are read successfully before the crash.
> Perhaps that gives a clue.
>
> p.
>
> ---
> Patrick Heimbach | heimbach at mit.edu | http://www.mit.edu/~heimbach
> MIT | EAPS 54-1420 | 77 Massachusetts Ave | Cambridge MA 02139 USA
> FON +1-617-253-5259 | FAX +1-617-253-4464 | SKYPE patrick.heimbach

Dr Jonny Williams
School of Geographical Sciences
University of Bristol
University Road