[MITgcm-support] constant surface temperature boundary condition

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Aug 20 04:44:35 EDT 2013

Hi,
Ryan already said everything, but it makes sense to have a look at the restoring term in the surface forcing terms. Assume that you turn off any other surface forcing (heat flux), then you have
dT/dt =  - 1/\tau ( T - T_{res} ),
when you discretize this in time with a simple Euler forward scheme (that's not how it is done in the model, but for illustration it's good enough) you get:
T(n+1) = T(n) - \delta{t}/\tau ( T(n) - T_{res} )
so you can immediately see that when the restoring time scale \tau equal the time step \delta{t} you'll have
T(n+1) = T_{res},
ie. you practically set your new temperature T(n+1) to the restoring temperature T_{res}.

Martin