[MITgcm-support] constant surface temperature boundary condition

Ryan Abernathey ryan.abernathey at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 08:56:47 EDT 2013

Ronald,

One way you can approximate a constant temperature bc is to use surface
temperature relaxation with a very fast relaxation time. To do this, you
specify a relaxation time scale in your data file in the PARM03 section,
e.g.
 tauThetaClimRelax=  5184000., # time in seconds = two month relaxation
timescale
To approximate a constant temperature, you would use a value close to your
actual timestep (i.e. much smaller than two months). This would force the
temperature back to the climatology at every timestep.
Then you just have to specify an input file in the PARM05 section. e.g.
  thetaClimFile=  'lev_sst.bin',
I assume you know how to create these binary files if you have already run
the tutorials.

Perhaps someone else knows a better way to do this, but I can't think of
one that doesn't involve hacking the model code a bit.

-Ryan