[MITgcm-support] increased total energy (kinetic and potential energy) in mitgcm model

Paola Cessi pcessi at ucsd.edu
Sun Aug 18 11:25:23 EDT 2013

Hi Yang,

in addition to the contribution by diffusion mentioned by Andy, you might
have a contribution by w^2/2 which needs to be included in the
defininition of kinetic energy for nonhydrostatic flow.

Also, if you are using a nonlinear equation of state (are you?), then the
potential energy needs to be defined differently (see a paper by W.R.
Young in JPO 2010, p. 394). If you are using a nonlinear equation of
state, with density depending on pressure (or height, as well as on T and
S) I am not sure that the standard algorithm for calculating the
background potential energy applies. I am not aware of one that works in
the case of nonlinear equation of state, but would be very interested if
anyone else knows about one.

Paola

Paola Cessi                            Tel: +1 858 534 0622
Scripps Institution of Oceanography    Fax: +1 858 534 8045
9500 Gilman Drive #0213                e-mail: pcessi at ucsd.edu
La Jolla, CA 92093-0213
USA                      Web:  http://www-pord.ucsd.edu/~pcessi

Delivery address (Fed-Ex, DHL, UPS, etc.):
Paola Cessi
University of California San Diego
Keck Center - Room 366
8851 Shellback Way