[MITgcm-support] increased total energy (kinetic and potential energy) in mitgcm model

Andrew Hogg andy.hogg at anu.edu.au
Sun Aug 18 05:33:04 EDT 2013

Hi Yang

I suspect what is happening here is that you have a vertical diffusion of buoyancy (explicit, numerical or both) which is acting to increase the centre of mass of the water column, thereby increasing the background potential energy. A better metric of the total energy of the flow is mechanical energy =  kinetic + available potential energy. Finding available potential energy is a non-trivial task - it requires you to subtract background potential energy from the total potential energy, but I may be able to provide a script to do this for you. If you're interested, first have a read of this paper:

G. O. HUGHES, A. McC. HOGG & R. W. GRIFFITHS (2009). Available potential energy and irreversible mixing in the meridional overturning circulation. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 39, 3130-3146.

and then get back to me.

Cheers
Andy

On 18/08/2013, at 10:18 AM, "Jiao, Yang" <yj10 at my.fsu.edu<mailto:yj10 at my.fsu.edu>>