[MITgcm-support] 9km and 4km Arctic configurations (from CS510)

Menemenlis, Dimitris (3248) Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 10 15:05:07 EDT 2013

Hi Jiping, I transfer your question to MITgcm Support mailing list, as this may be useful for other and as my answer will not be complete.

Folks that have a lot of expertise with these two configurations are Gunnar Spreen and An Nguyen.
Recently the 4-km configuration was adopted by Prof. Bruno Tremblay's group at McGill.

References that discuss results from these two configurations are:
A. Nguyen, R. Kwok, and D. Menemenlis, 2012: Source and pathway of the Western Arctic upper halocline in a data-constrained coupled ocean and sea ice model.<http://ecco2.org/manuscripts/2012/NguyenJPO2012.pdf> J. Phys. Oceanogr., 43(5), 802-823.
E. Rignot, I. Fenty, D. Menemenlis, and Y. Xu, 2012: Spreading of warm ocean waters around Greenland as a possible cause for glacier acceleration.<http://ecco2.org/manuscripts/2012/Rignot2012.pdf> Annals of Glaciology, 53, 257-266.

Some description of how to set up these two configurations is available here:
http://ecco2.jpl.nasa.gov/data1/arctic/code_9km/
http://ecco2.jpl.nasa.gov/data1/arctic/run_template_9km/
http://ecco2.jpl.nasa.gov/data1/arctic/code_4km/
http://ecco2.jpl.nasa.gov/data1/arctic/run_template_4km/
but I created these two directories quite some time ago, so things have
evolved, especially with SEAICE_OPTIONS.h and data.seaice.

An, Gunnar, or Bruno, are there updated descriptions of these two configurations somewhere easily accessible?

Cheers

Dimitris Menemenlis