[MITgcm-support] Anamalous Decrease in Sea Surface Level and SPONGE Layer

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Sep 24 02:59:05 EDT 2012

Himansu,

the most likely cause for "loosing sea level" with obcs is an imbalance of the horizontal velocities through the boundaries. To convince yourself, compute the fluxes from averaged output of UVEL*DYG*DR*HFACW or /VVEL*DXG*DR*HFACES. The divergence of those should match your sea level change.
With Orlanski BCs you cannot prescribe velocities so that the fluxes are correct. I suggest that you use the balancing option described here:
<http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node236.html#SECTION00731560000000000000>

M.