[MITgcm-support] External orbiting forces!

Angela Zalucha angela at boulder.swri.edu
Fri Sep 14 12:03:23 EDT 2012

Taimaz:

If you are using the fizhi package,
subroutine ASTRO in fizhi_clockstuff.F will calculate the solar zenith
angle as a function of obliquity and eccentricity (these constants are set
in getcon.F).  But note that they are treated as constants, so you would
need to modify the code if they are changing with time (I assume that's
what you mean by precession).

I also have a subroutine to calculate solar zenith angle as a function of
obliquity, eccentricity, and ecliptic longitude as part of my planetary
model (not part of the public distribution).  The equation for solar
zenith angle may be found in e.g. Peixoto and Oort, "Physics of Climate"
textbook.

Angela

Angela Zalucha, Ph.D.
A. M. Zalucha Consulting

Office located at Southwest Research Institute
1050 Walnut Street, Suite 300
Boulder, CO 80302
USA
(720) 208-7211