[MITgcm-support] XU, YU and XV, YV coordinates in the curvilinear grid...

Simone Sammartino ssammartino at ctima.uma.es
Wed Oct 24 05:51:31 EDT 2012

Hi
I’m working on outputs on a curvilinear grid...
I saw that the X-YU and X-YV grid are written in the NETCDF case (http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm/model/src/write_grid.F?view=markup), but it seems they are not in the binary output format case.
The U coordinates are defined as XU=XG and YU=YC and the V coordinates as XV=XC and YV=YG, but it is correct only in the case of a cartesian grid.
It does not correspond to the real U and V coordinates on a curvilinear grid, which instead depends on the angle in X-YC.
So, two questions:
- Where are located the U and V vectors in the curvilinear grid?
- Why the X-YU and X-YV grid are not written in the binary output format?

Thank you in advance

Simone

Simone Sammartino
Physical Oceanography Research Group