[MITgcm-support] lsOr

Martin Losch martin.losch at awi.de
Thu Nov 22 11:18:22 EST 2012

Hi Jinlun,

thanks again for your answer. As I dig deeper and deeper into the LSR solver, I have more and more questions: I had a look at the convergence of the LSR in geometrically simple (but difficult to solve) problems and I found that that LSR stalls in some cases (actually in many cases) because of this line:
C SAFEGUARD AGAINST BAD FORCING ETC
         IF(m.GT.1.AND.S1.GT.S1A) WFAU=WFAU2
S1 is the stopping criterion s1=max(u(k)-u(k-1)) (maximum difference between two iterates k and k-1), and S1A is the previous S1: S1A = S1(k-1). If s1>s1a, the omega wfav set to zero (WFAU2=0).

I have removed this safeguard and find that the residuum sqrt(sum(r^2)) of the equations (so Au-b=r) still reduces monotonically, that is, the solver still converges and the above "safeguard" makes the solver stop for the wrong reason.
- Wouldn't it be better to use the actual residual for deciding the stopping criterion? It would be a more expensive, I assume.
- Do we need this "safeguard" line at all?

Martin