[MITgcm-support] add the time dependent wind by 'zonalWindFile'

Victor victory9269 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 13:04:21 EST 2012

Hi guys

I am trying to setup a model with time dependent wind (not periodic), but
the wind file is always not added in properly. I set
'zonalWindFile='windx.bin'' in the 'data' file. The 'windx.bin' is
generated by Matlab 2012 like this:
tau=0.1;
nx=160;ny=1,nz=30;
timesteps=240;
windx=rand(nx,ny,timesteps);
for i=1:timsteps
    if i<=20
        windx(:,:,i)=zeros(nx,ny,1);
    else
        windx(:,:,i)=ones(nx,ny,1)*tau;
    end
end
fid=fopen('windx.bin','w','b');
fwrite(fid,windx,'real*8');
fclose(fid);

The adding of constant wind has been sucessful. While for the time
dependent wind it always gets zeros value for U and V. The no-zeros value
of the wind seems to not be read in. I still can not find the way through
after checking out the related information in manul and email support.

Thanks very much for the help.

--
Best regards.

Shengli Chen