[MITgcm-support] Time variable and changing deltaT

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Fri Nov 2 13:28:08 EDT 2012

Hi Andrea,

There are few previous messages to the support list that discuss
this issue, for instance:
http://mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2005-May/003040.html

I also agree that the default behavior of the code when you try
to restart with a different deltaT is not always what one would expect,
but different users might expect different things.
In short, we could have changed the default behavior (adjusting baseTime),
but then some users would have found it annoying that what was working before
does not work the same way anymore.

Note that if the time-step (deltaTclock) was stored in the netcdf pickup
file or in the pickup meta file, we would be in a better position to
set the default baseTime in a safe way.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel