[MITgcm-support] metricTerms Flag

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu May 24 09:20:39 EDT 2012

Hi Chris,

I think that metricTerms should always be true on a lon-lat grid, but otherwise not. The setting of this parameter should be automatic with the grid type you choose, i.e.
metricTerms=.true. for usingSphericalPolarGrid=.true.,
and false for usingCartesianGrid=.true., and usingCurviLinearGrid=.true.
For curvilinear grids, the metric terms are not explicitly implemented (except for the seaice model), but you need to use the vector invariant form of the moment equations to have them included implicitly.

Martin