[MITgcm-support] Thermal wind in ocean cause too large velocity?

Chun-Yan Zhou c.zhou at dundee.ac.uk
Thu May 24 05:07:55 EDT 2012

Hi Jody,
 Thanks for your reply.
you mentioned that If I want the model to be in geostrophic balance at startup, I need to specify the velocities in the initial conditions as well. But I have no idea how to specify the initial velocities. I just know the initial temperature and salinity conditions. Do you have any reference to calculte the initial velocities?
Thank you very much!
Chunyan Zhou
Division of Civil Engineering
School of Engineering, Physics and Mathematics
College of Art, Science and Engineering
Fulton Building,G19
University of Dundee
Dundee, UK DD1 4HN