[MITgcm-support] speedup for cs64 on a linux cluster

Angela Zalucha angela at boulder.swri.edu
Tue May 22 13:31:41 EDT 2012

I also have not found any scaling analysis anywhere, but here is the test
I performed:  I essentially run the 3D held-saurez cs experiment (with
slightly more advanced RT) with 30 levels.  The test was performed on the
Texas Advanced Computing Center Lonestar Linux cluster.  The test went for
120,000 iterations.

I attached a plot.  The number of processors increases by powers of 2
times 12 (i.e. 12, 24, 48, 96, 192, 384, 768, 1536).  I did not plot the
ideal case but it would be a line.  The scaling is not ideal to large
numbers of processors.  Oddly, the scaling is also not constant, e.g. 48
to 96 and 192 to 384 produce a greater improvment than 96 to 192.

Also, I noticed for a given number of processors, lower nSx and nSy is
always faster.

In 2D, on my group's local (Linux) cluster at Southwest, 2 procs is better
than 1 proc, but 4 procs actually runs slower.

   Angela